Friday 20 January 2017

My Fitness Journey


Hi Hi, 
So many things are happening in the world, and for a while the focus is not on Nigeria. Donald Trump is being sworn in as the 45th President of the United States of America today, congratulations to him. President Adama Barrow had to be sworn into office in Senegal as the Ex President of Gambia, Yahya Jammeh refused to accept the result of the election and leave office after ruling Gambia for 22 years, 22 years and he's still not tired? He'd rather watch his country enter into a civil war than do the right thing. I don't know what is wrong with the crop of leaders we have in Africa, that they desire to cling to power by all means. I hope this act doesn't destroy their country.


Today I want to talk about my fitness journey. Now, I'm not a fitness freak, yet, but I take fitness seriously, I always have since my university days. I've never been a skinny girl, but I have never been fat either, just stuck somewhere in-between. See, when you start your fitness journey, you'd think you would become slim automatically, right? Nope, not happening. I have been working out very actively for the past 5 years and I still don't look at the scale or monitor how my weight is dropping. Some people do that, but I don't. Why? The degree of weight loss varies among individuals, and looking at the scale might discourage you if the numbers don't go down the way you expected. Some people lose weight faster than the others, and as you get older, losing weight takes longer time and effort. 

The mistake you will make is not starting at all. Don't worry about the time it'll take you to lose weight and stay fit, you didn't add weight in a day, so don't expect to lose the fat in a day. Also, if you think fitness and workouts are only for those trying to lose weight, think again! Skinny is out, fit is in! You can be slim and still be unfit and unhealthy. If you wait till you get fat and obese before you start an exercise routine, that would be disastrous as it'll be harder for you, and you'd feel less motivated if you don't see results soon. To succeed, get a workout buddy, if you can't motivate yourself. Join a workout group or community like Truppr, if you're in Nigeria, they're in different cities and it'll make it more fun and you also learn new things.

Remember, you gotta eat right! You can't finish your workout, wolf down a bowl of Ice Cream or coca cola, and expect to lose weight. I can't do any of those scary diet plans, so I just eat in moderation, twice a day, and exercise well. Don't starve or miss breakfast, you only cause more injury to yourself. I didn't take this advice seriously initially, I would starve till 2 pm, then eat one meal for the whole day. I lost weight, but I became sick. Ulcer almost visited me, and I had to caution myself. Now I do it the healthy way, not as healthy as adviced or I would have liked, but healthier nonetheless. 

If you can run, run, if not, take brisk walks or ride a bicycle (I'm yet to learn how to ride a bicycle) or join a gym. If you're like me who doesn't have time for the gym, download a lot of videos from youtube and use them. any part of your body you desire to work on specifically, there are videos that focus on those parts. You also need to be willing to them, you can't be complaining about your pot belly and refuse to do some abs exercises; or have wobbly thighs and not want to do thigh workouts. To see results, you need to put in effort and be consistent. Never give up, even if you don't see the results immediately, keep at it. Achieve the best body you can get, don't aim for a size 4 or 6 or 8, or be obsessed with the scale. Everybody must not be a particular size. 

The benefits of workout are enormous. Asides the usual good for your health, bla bla bla, exercises lifts your mood, yes, and it makes sex wayyy better, yep, it does. See? there's nothing to lose by embracing a fitness routine, but all to gain. 

Have an amazing weekend, and in all you do, try and do some form of exercise.
Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment