Wednesday 25 January 2017

Contract Marriage


Your hardest times often lead to the greatest moments of your life. Keep going. Tough situations build strong people in the end.” 

― Roy T. BennettThe Light in the Heart


The above quote aptly fits the situation in Nigeria at the moment. With the killings here and there, the security operatives seem at a loss over what to do or how to go about dealing with this. I hope there's light at the end of this tunnel, and we will emerge stronger and more united. Or are these signs of the end time which the Bible talks about? If yes, does this mean there's no point praying for things to get better, since they won't? Anyway, I digress. 

We all know our people's penchant for going into contract marriages, especially our people in 'the abroad', usually our brothers who seek for greener pastures in the US of A and other parts of Europe, Asia and the rest of the world. They meet a white girl, or a citizen of the country and marry her to get his legal documents like residence permit, work permit, citizenship, etc. Women also marry foreign nationals for the same reasons, but the ratio is quite low compared to the men. Oftentimes, these women do not know that they are being used just to obtain these documents; which brings me to my question, should the men tell the women that they need them for the sole purpose of obtaining legal documents to enable them reside in and become citizens of that country?

There was a story of a young Nigerian man who got married to an old white woman last week in Lagos, after the ceremony, the young man shouted, 'thank God I don marry Oyibo'! Sounds funny but do you think the old woman believed the young man loved her? Do some of the women or men know that they're being used to obtain legal documents? I'm aware that some women do these things officially; you guys meet, agree on a fee and do the deed. After a while everyone goes their separate ways. Is it not better to do it with someone who understands what she's getting into, than to lead an innocent woman on, acting all lovey-dovey with her, make her fall in love with you, when you know why you need her? I know a guy who married 3 white women, all in a bid to get these papers, and birthed children with the women. Now he pays child support and alimony to three women, and rarely sees the children. What's the point? Children that did not ask to be born are also dragged into the mess created by adults. 

I think it is only fair to tell the women or the men, as the case may be, the truth about the marriage. Some will still go ahead and do it, as long as they get paid. What do you think? 

P.S. I'd like if you guys could drop your opinions in the comment section please. I've gotten complaints that some people cannot leave a comment, I don't know why that happens, but I'll drop a comment first to see. I also see some comments from other people, so I don't know why some people have that difficulty. I'm sorry about that.

Enjoy the rest of your day.
Peace...

1 comment:

  1. Honestly I have been expecting you to write on this n alas ! Here we are ! When I first learnt of this process, l felt like could it be possible? But as time goes on , I strted believing . As a child ,I use to think that oyibo people are the wisest on earth ( a foreigner boasted recently on that too ) . Why are they not wise to think that a man in his thirties will wholeheartedly love a woman of 55-70yrs of age irrespective of how beautifully faded they look ? Funny enough ,they guide their men jealously without shame. There was one I saw n the way the young man was pampering her in public , everyone there knew there was something wrong witsuch love but the old hagg was feeling Patra! Why cant they reason , is their instinct not telling them something or ka o bu onwu negbu nkita ekwero ya nuru isi nsi ?

    ReplyDelete