Wednesday 18 January 2017

How Correct is Our GPS?

I remember discussing with an Uncle of mine who came in from the US over the Christmas holidays about GPS services here in Nigeria. He expressed his pleasant surprise that the GPS seemed to be working well in the major cities, I agreed with him and his wife although I know that sometimes they get my location way off, even in Abuja. I could be in Apo and the GPS on my phone would have my location as Karu, which is at another end of the Federal Capital Territory! In the East, especially my Village, Facebook said I was in Ukpo, or Awkuzu, meanwhile I was in Abagana.
My Uncle said if GPS coordinates were used to target someone, that they'd probably get the wrong target and bomb the wrong place because those things cannot be trusted. 

When I heard the news that the Nigerian military mistakenly bombed an Internally Displaced Persons' Camp and killed over 50 IDPs and health workers during an airstrike, that discussion came to my mind. What could have happened? Wrong intelligence? Incorrect coordinates? What? To think that these people ran from their homes to the Camps for safety, and the health workers are trying to provide the healthcare they can to those people at the camp. Such mistakes are not peculiar to Nigeria alone, such accidents have happened in other parts of the world, but it doesn't make it any less painful. I cannot imagine what the families of the dead are going through, I can only pray they find solace and comfort in the God they believe in. The pilots that carried out those strikes will also not have it easy; imagine having all that innocent deaths on your conscience! The Nigerian Military have said they acted based on intelligence that there was a meeting of boko haram members around the area, which turned out to be untrue. Whatever the case may be, the whole world has heard, and innocent lives have been lost. Sad!


In other news, I want to make posts calling out doctors and hospitals in Nigeria that have not adhered to standard practices while attending to us. Who's with me? I will need names of the doctors and the hospitals in the story. It's high time we demand for better services, especially in the health sector. A lot of people have died due to wrong diagnosis and carelessness in the hands of our doctors and nurses. You might think it won't get the necessary attention, but never underestimate the power of social media and the force of the citizens. Enough is enough!

May the souls of the dead find rest, and may the mourners find comfort. These are indeed not easy times in Nigeria. 
Peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment