Wednesday 18 May 2016

Much Ado About Tomatoes

courtesy google.

Tomatoes are apparently getting snatched from people in the market!! Hehehehehe... sounds funny right?? If you buy tomatoes, biko hold 'em tight o!! 
Seriously though, I went to the market to buy tomatoes and the mallam told me the small bowl of tomatoes was 1,000 naira! I shouted "haba  mallam"!, and to my surprise, my usually-jovial mallam didn't even look at me twice. Hian!! Na wa o! I even learnt Dangote tomato paste-making factory that was opened a few months ago have also paused production because of this scarcity. Wahala dey o! I wish I had space around my house to plant a tomato garden. 
So, I and my household have become 'team ofe akwu' (banga stew) till further notice, at least akwu is still affordable! Thanks to my momma, I make a mean one. My mum might scream about the cholesterol, but who cares! Biko I can't buy 5,000 naira worth of tomatoes just for a small stew, when I can buy akwu 600 naira and get plenty of stew. 
So, our dear men, I know that the economic situation in Nigeria is not friendly, but biko you gotta increase the allowance you give to madam o! Tomatoes are costly now! LOL.

6 comments:

  1. Rightly so dear. However, the call for increase looks sexist to me. Ofe akwu is so cheap and tastier even with titus fish. good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once it comes to money, men start complaining. Hehehehe... sexist kwa?

      Delete
  2. men dont complain we love to give

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nne, I buy N700 fresh tomatoes and then supplement with tin tomatoes paste. Works just fine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soon,no jellof rice will be served at Nigerian weddings....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soon people will be served palm oil rice at weddings. Well if it has enough "garnishing", there won't be any complaints. My sister found a solution to the tomatoes crises; she cooks with 80% tatashe and 20% tomatoes and she swears that it is even more flavourful, colourful and delicious. Nigerians can adapt to anything, which is a blessing and also a curse, because it means we don't complain enough and demand change. We just get on with our lives.

    ReplyDelete