Thursday 11 May 2017

Humility vs Low Self Esteem

"Humility is not thinking less of yourself, but thinking of yourself less."- C.S Lewis
Courtesy:artepreta.com

Be ye humble; that's something we have always been admonished to be.
Humility is the act of being modest and not thinking highly of oneself, or of one's achievements. Low self esteem however could be seen as the feeling of being inadequate, incompetent, and unworthy. 

One is knowing that you're great, but not shoving it in people's faces (kinda), while the other is like probably being great, but believing you are not. 

From slideshare.net
Humility helps you sail smoothly through life and endears you to people, but low self esteem is like a tiny cancerous voice that keeps whispering negative things about yourself into your ears, which if you allow to continue, will just grow into self-hatred and its accompanying ills such as depression and suicide.

Personally, it irks me when people constantly talk down on themselves or their achievements, even while you're trying to convince them they are good at something, they keep denying it. People with low self esteem are often shy, withdrawn, insecure, lacks self-confidence, etc. 

A humble person could be a great achiever who has just chosen not to toot his/her own horn, you understand? I doubt if any religion or even non-religion has anything against humility, so it cannot be said to be a trait found among people of a particular religious belief. I learnt that even the devil himself hates proud people, 😊. 

Courtesy:pinterest.com
In other news, today makes it 36 years since one of my favourite musicians died at the young age of 36. Robert 'Bob' Marley actually died before I was even born, but I grew up and fell in love with his songs and the messages therein. Beautiful music. That's a true legend right there. Not these noisy types that I can't even remember after a short while. 

So, today I'm going to disturb my colleagues with good reggae music as I'll play my Bob Marley collection all day, in his honour 👌😉😊.

Have a great day everyone. Remember to show love to one another.

Peace...

3 comments:

  1. wow...lovely write up...i love Bob marley too, thanks for marking his 36th year in simplicity...i'm currently writing on how to Know Your true identity which deals with self image, self esteem and self respect on my blog Flywaterz.com I really love your post and the blog and I'm very happy to subscribe to your blog...keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wish you well in your writing. I'll love to read when you're done.

      Delete