Friday 7 October 2016

The Invasion of Reality Television


"See, I don't watch reality television anymore. I watched a little bit of it for awhile, but I found it turned my soul into a black sludge, and I just did not find it healthy or good for me at all, because I would watch it and be disgusted, disgusted."- Martha Plimpton .



The above quote summarises my take when it comes to reality TV shows. I used to watch them o, I must confess, until it dawned on me that there is really nothing real about the reality shows.  I mean, how real can you be with cameras in your face every minute, shooting? Furthermore, they have to edit and cutout the ones they do not want the viewers to see. Even the fights are well orchestrated to seem interesting to the viewers. I just had to save myself the time, although I must confess I basically watched it then just to look at their sense of fashion, but that seems to have gone haywire also.

Now, I'm not criticising those that enjoy them, after-all my mum keeps up with the Kadarshians; neither do I hate the stars of these shows. In-fact, I actually admire their hustle because I know it's not easy being in front of the camera for months, having them record some private moments and acting all prim and proper for the viewers, with the exception of when you think the viewers would do with a little drama to add some spice to the show. It can't be easy I bet. However, they should not kid us by telling us that's the reality of their real lives. 

I understand they need to entertain people and make money too, but could they slow down with the way they churn them out these days? The other day I stumbled on an advert for a new one in which the guy is supposed to be searching for love and they brought 50 women for him to date, romance, and hopefully find love among the lot! How will that even be possible?? I know that most couples who did reality TV shows break up after that or during the show, even the ones that supposedly found love on the show break up at the end of the show. When the cameras stop rolling, their true colours come out. I guess it's all about the money sha, and everybody wants to cash in on it. It also seems as if it has come to stay because whatever show they produce, some people tune in and watch, with their fake acting, drama, fights and everything! 

Well, by all means continue enjoying them, but do not make the mistake of thinking that is how real life is, else you're in for a rude shock! Real life is not always as calm, composed and fun, right? 

In other news, today is World Smile Day!! It's celebrated on the first Friday in October every year (did you know this? lol). So, no tight face today, no frown, just smiles all through. People say I frown too much, I really gotta smile more, although I doubt if it'll be normal for me to be seen with a smile on my face constantly. Notice how some people just have smiling, friendly-looking faces? I'm always on guard when I see people that're always smiling with their teeth all out; I feel something is wrong and an Uncle of mine believes they're not to be trusted. Anyway, wear a smile today. Your smile can cheer someone up, you never can tell. 

Have a splendid weekend.

Hugs...

No comments:

Post a Comment