Monday 21 November 2016

Mediocrity and Us

Hi guys, good morning.
Hope y'all had a splendid weekend. I did, well until yesterday. Still in Enugu, one of my favourite cities, and in my bestie's house getting stuffed with delicious dishes. I  can bet my jumpsuit seems tighter this morning, LOL.

See, I was supposed to go back to Abuja yesterday morning with Arik Air, one of the previously best airlines in Nigeria, with the largest number of aircrafts on their fleet. I got to the airport early, checked in, and proceeded to wait!! They announced a one-hour delay on the flight that'd convey us to Abuja; one hour passed by, nothing, no landing, no take-off! After about two hours we were informed that the flight that was to come from Lagos to take us to abuja developed a technical fault as they were about to take off, and it was getting fixed, or another aircraft would be assigned to the route. Okay, people murmured, but the murmuring soon died down. We kept waiting. Another hour passed and we were finally informed that the flight had been cancelled. This was around 2 p.m, after we had been waiting since 10 a.m. They said we should either go to the counter for a refund, reschedule our tickets, or go with the bus they would arrange to convey passengers to Abuja, about 7 hours journey!!! Hmmmmm.... see chaos!!!
I was too hungry to shout. I went to the counter and was informed I couldn't get a refund as I booked for my flight online, and they only refund those that paid cash over the counter! I just rescheduled my ticket for this morning, went back to my friend's house and did my manicure to calm down, hehehehe... somehow I find painting my nails quite therapeutic.
So, I'm back at the airport this morning, checked in without any fuss, and they've indirectly announced another delay, as our departure time is supposed to be 10.10 a.m, and the flight that will take us has been scheduled to land here at 10.30 (it just landed as I'm typing this). That means we've been automatically delayed, but at least it's here, right? Hmmmmm.... quite exasperating.
The issue for me is not just the cancellation; it has more to do with the lackadaisical attitude towards consumers and customers in Nigeria. They do what they want and get away with it. Their staff here were quite unprofessional, and I intend to send arik air a mail to that effect. Whether they act on it or not, is another issue altogether. I read about a 20 year old girl that died from complications after having a cesarean section to deliver her triplets. The doctor didn't refer her to a bigger hospital better equipped to handle the complications. The poor girl is dead, a set of triplets have lost their mother, a family is grieving and will never be the same. They will wail and mourn, but that hospital will still continue with their below-the-standard operation. No sense of accountability and responsibility. This is bad!!! Where are the lawyers?? Shouldn't they also handle issues such as these? Can people refuse to accept mediocrity and demand for the what we deserve?!
Anyway, let me board and head back to Abuja, it's been a loooong weekend for me. Have a blessed week everyone, and try to demand for what you deserve at all times. 
Hugs....

No comments:

Post a Comment