Friday 10 June 2016

Who is watching the kids??

Pedophilia is not new to us, children have been sexually abused for decades, however the culture of silence predominantly in existence then didn’t let people know much about it. As an 8 year old, I remember my late grandmother’s houseboy, Friday, carrying me on his laps and I could feel a bulge (which I didn’t understand then, but can deduce now). Sometimes he would actually ask me to touch his erect penis.
I didn’t report it then because we weren’t taught to report such issues, so we kept quiet and the pedophiles continued their disgusting act. I also know a lot of my age mates who had similar experiences.

I think that experience has made me paranoid, coupled with the kind of establishment I work in. I can no longer tell the difference between an adult who genuinely likes children and a pedophile; that’s how bad it has become for me o! If I see an adult male playing with a female child, my antenna goes up immediately! Same goes for male children, because these perverts don’t even spare them anymore.

Almost on a daily basis we read about such stories, yet some parents still shy away from having the ‘talk’ with their children. I don’t believe it’s too early to educate your child on sex, with the rate they grow and mature these days. Instruct them on what to watch-out for, as soon as they can talk.

For the past few days, a picture has been going round on social media of a 48 or 52 years old driver caught having sex in the bush with his Oga’s 14 year old daughter whom he drops and picks from school. That image still nauseates me whenever I remember it. You may wonder why the girl kept quiet, because I doubt if that was the first time such had happened. I asked myself “is it possible that she couldn’t tell her mother”? or that she had reported but wasn’t taken seriously??

One thing we should note is that the people who sexually abuse children are people they know: Father, mother, Uncles, aunts, cousins, houseboy, housegirl, neighbour, teacher, even pastor and priest. Generally people they know and feel comfortable with. That is also probably they don’t always tell their parents.

As a parent, establish a close relationship with your child so he/she can tell you when such a thing happens. If your child suddenly becomes overly affectionate or extremely rude towards someone he/she has known for a while, you need to look closely. If a child is not comfortable with going to a particular person’s house, I think you should also find out why, don’t force the child as you might be leading him/her into the lion’s den. Be very careful about who you leave your children with, this warning cannot be overemphasized! Install cameras if you have to o! The world we live in has become so perverted that no measure is too much to protect your children. Parents get work o! If anybody tries that with my child, hmmm… obituary o!

I once saw a statistics which said that out of every three children, one has been or is being sexually abused. Let’s prove that statistics wrong biko! For the perverts, one day one day monkey go go market e no go come back o!!!

Hugs…

2 comments:

  1. May God help this generation seriously! This act is on increase these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that in Naija, we need to understand the concept of grooming in paedophilia. These criminals groom their victims to the point where they can neither speak out, nor understand that they are being victimised. I have heard people ask"well why didn't she report him? Why did she keep going back?" We victimise and blame and beat the victims. So why should they tell us or report? Regardless of whether a minor goes back to an abuser or not, the bottom line is he/she is a minor and the burden of responsibility and the crime lies with the overaged criminal taking advantage. I just hope that the mentality can continue to change and evolve to protect victims of paedophilia. Parents need to keep an eye on their children. If you have a nanny, mount cameras and monitor the footage. If you have housekeepers in your home, do the same. Put cameras in the car but above all, I agree with you, let's talk about it and teach our children;boys and girls that it is not OK for them to be touched or to touch any adult and encourage them to give a word for word account of events in their day. What does our legislation even say about paedophilia? What's the punishment and is there a section of the law that addresses it? I won't be surprised if there isn't seeing as some geriatrics legally marry minors in Nigeria. Very sad

    ReplyDelete