Wednesday 29 June 2016

Respecting Our Differences


We live in a diverse world made up of people from different backgrounds, cultures, religions, beliefs, etc. In as much as you don’t practice or believe the next person’s culture or religion, you need to respect it. If you doubt me, go to marry a Yoruba girl and don’t prostrate to greet your father-in-law and see what’ll happen to you.


I often hear people talk with utmost disregard for other people’s culture, especially in Nigeria. Meanwhile, these same people will travel to Asian countries and observe their cultures to the fullest. My people in Igbo land are not used to curtsying to greet our elders, that don’t mean I’d snicker at my Yoruba sisters who do the same.

If your church permits you to wear trousers and leave your hair open during worship, good and fine, but when you go to a church that requires their female worshippers to cover their hair in church and doesn't allow women to wear trousers into the church, please do not argue with the ushers when they tell you to stay outside or ask you to cover your hair by saying you won’t comply because in your church, those practices are okay. That’s just disrespectful. If you cannot comply,  biko stay in your house. Don't tell me about how God sees and knows your heart. I bet you won't dare enter a mosque without being properly dressed for the occasion. 

Some days ago, pictures were going round on the Internet of the President's wife greeting the Alaafin of Oyo by trying to shake his hand. People felt that was disrespectful. I felt so too. I know I cannot try to shake the Igwe of my hometown, neither will the President's wife try to greet the Emir of Kano or any Northern Emir with a handshake.  Respect people's culture, as long as they don't hurt or infringe on your rights and freedom as an individual. Respect their religion, you must not practice it. One early morning on my way for my usual morning jogging, I saw a Christian preacher, preaching with his noisy megaphone. Guess where he chose to stand and preach? In front of a small mosque where Muslims were saying their early morning prayer! I mean, of all the spots on the long street that's about 3km in length! Talk about looking for trouble and disrespecting people. The times are already volatile, don't be the person to tip the boiling pot over, because you will call on God and he will not answer you! 


In life, it’s all about ‘live and let live’. We should treat others with the same degree of respect as we would like to be treated ourselves. Let us learn to embrace our differences and not be afraid of them. The world is a global village, you might be surprised to learn a thing or two from another person if only you'd sheath your sword of reservations and embrace that which makes you different from the other person. 

Hope the week has been good to you? No? It'll get better.


 Ramadan Kareem to my Muslim brothers and sisters.


Hugs... 


2 comments:

  1. Yet so good. Look like you are deliberately staying out of gossip. geez

    ReplyDelete