Monday 3 April 2017

Condemning What you Don't Understand

Hello lovers....
Been awhile, guys. I've missed you all o.  Sorry for my absence, I've been sooo busy that I couldn't make out time to blog, though I had a lot of ideas in my head. I was away on an official assignment and the internet connection in that town was soo poor, I could barely do much online.

Since I got back, I've been trying to do my school work, assignments and stuff, and it has been so frustrating. See, in-as-much-as I appreciate the efforts Nigeria is making towards digitalization,
I still believe that what is worth doing is worth doing well, and we cannot afford to take 'baby steps' in everything, online transactions inclusive. How do you explain the fact that despite an academic programme being done exclusively on the internet, the website would be shut for weeks on end, and when they're finally up, it'd take 20 minutes to open a page? Isn't it just annoying?? I mean, there are already experts in this field, even in Nigeria, why can't an academic institution engage those people to develop a website that can withstand the traffic that go through it daily. Anyway, I don't blame them, if I had enough money, I wouldn't be here repeatedly refreshing their page so I can do my assignments. 

Back to my gist; like I had always said, I love Nigeria and how issues trend on our twitter space and other social media platforms, mundane/silly or solid as they may be. Now, what kind of blogger would I be if I didn't weigh in on the trending issue that I find interesting? I live in the era of social media, and I use it for my own good, growth and development. I know some people who have gotten jobs, made life-long friends, some have gotten life partners via social media, so I know that you can use it for good. I am not unmindful however, of the evils that can also come out of social media, but, hey, it's all about weighing the pros and cons for you as well as what you set out to achieve on it.

I wasn't pleased when I saw a video  where the General Overseer of one of the biggest Pentecostal churches in Nigeria told his followers that if they met their wives of Facebook, they'd lose her on Youtube, and I do not believe he was speaking metaphorically or taken out of context. He was condemning social media dating, categorically. See, I didn't live in the era when men saw their wives on the way to the stream, or during a village dance, or had families arrange to have their children get married; therefore I cannot relate to that. However, I will not condemn it either, because it worked for them back then. 

Times have changed, and for a 70 something year old man, with such influence over millions of people to tell people of my generation not to marry people they meet on Social media, is like my grandfather condemning social media. They do not understand it! In this era of online dating sites and the likes, all you can really tell people is to be careful about who they date and marry. The place where you meet someone in no way guarantees the success of that marriage. People have met the devils themselves in the churches, married them and lived to regret it; whereas some who met in nightclubs and via dating sites are still waxing strong. There's really no hard and fast rule to these things.

It's easy to want to be heard or to give advice, but if you do not understand something, don't condemn it. What works for one person, might not work for another. Dassol I have to say. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

Enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment