Wednesday 14 September 2016

On the Principle of Full Disclosure

Hello lovelies, How're you doing? (In Wendy Williams' voice)

Courtesy: google
The quote in the above image is one that we know so well; we claim we'd rather be told the truth than lied to. However, if that is completely true, why do we also say that 'ignorance is bliss'? 

In a world where we are becoming increasingly cautious of what we say so we don't get labelled racist, homophobic, bigot, etc; can we really afford to be completely honest with one another, and can we handle the truth, no matter how bad it is?

We love to hear positive things only; 'you look lovely', 'your hair's nice', etc, even when they're not true. I'm one of those that will not comment or like your pictures on social media if I do not think they're lovely, hehehe... That might be mean, but can you imagine if I actually write what I feel about the picture? The 'friend' will likely 'unfriend' me and I'd get barred! All for saying the truth! 

Another thought, if your partner is cheating on you, will you want to know the truth? I learnt some guys also want to know the number of sexual partners their babes have been with!, and when they get to know they flip out! But you asked for the truth, didn't you?? 

Courtesy: google
Tracy Chapman in her song 'Telling Stories' sang 'sometimes a lie is the best thing'. I agree with her o! You might feel differently, but there are some truths I'd rather not know. I'm all for truth-telling, but not full disclosure. For me, ignorance can be bliss. Some people say they want the truth, but when they hear it they can't handle it. Full disclosure can be risky, especially in relationships. If he/she doesn't NEED to know, please don't disclose. We've heard stories of a partner using what the spouse disclosed about her past against her in future arguments, immature as that may be. 

Some people say if you trust a person, you should feel confident enough to reveal all to that him/her. Hmmm... to me, trust and full disclosure are two different things. I trust you, but I don't have to know everything, and I ain't telling you everything too, for our peace of mind o! This might go against some people's principle for a healthy relationship, but like I always say, different strokes for different folks. Just because someone's spouse could handle the truth about his/her partner's past, doesn't mean we all have to spill to our partners, except the kinda past that'd haunt my present or my future, then by all means, I gotta know about that and be prepared. 

If you demand complete honesty from someone, not only are you obliged to give the same, you are also not allowed to use it against them. If you want me to tell you the truth, please do not freak out when you hear it. Sometimes, it's best to let sleeping dogs lie. My opinion though.

Courtesy: google


Enjoy your day, and say a prayer for Nigeria (though sometimes I wonder if God still hears our prayer).
Hugs...

No comments:

Post a Comment