Friday 9 September 2016

Jumping to Conclusions (JTC)

Good morning, *long yawn....
The week has been HECTIC! Been in Minna, Niger State, again, developing some training documents for my organisation; so it's been late nights, coffee, reading, editing, etc. Well, it's all good, always grateful for the opportunity to learn, but mehn! This girl is knackered. Glad we're leaving today and we've a long weekend to recover.


Something happened yesterday that brought the issue of jumping quickly to conclusions, to my mind. With this thought came the 'Uche face your work' phone call that happened some years ago in Nigeria. who can still remember it? Well, let me give you a recap. A certain customer-care officer, Uche, from one of the telecommunication companies in Nigeria called a customer (as they sometimes do) to check on their services and see if he had any issues with their services. Unfortunately for the poor girl, the man's wife picked the phone and at first pretended to be the man's colleague. The conversation too a weird turn as the woman assumed Uche was her husband's mistress and warned her to 'face her work', never to call her husband again and even threatened to come to her office. The conversation is more hilarious when you listen to it, here: Uche face your work


This is typical of us, as human beings, jumping to conclusions without getting the facts right. Often when we realise that we jumped to wrong conclusion, for one reason or the other, we still find it hard to own up and apologise. I know how exasperating it is when someone keeps trying to finish my sentence for me, and  keeps getting it wrong. In my mind, I always think, why won't you just wait for me to finish? You know that feeling? 

We live in a society where people no longer mind their businesses, I don't know if this is brought about by boredom, as I'm convinced we poke-nose not because we truly care about the other person's welfare. JTC bias is a psychological delusional problem which affects our relationship with others. Before you conclude, ask questions and get your facts right in order to avoid any awkwardness and embarrassment, and if you've hastily jumped into conclusions, please apologise. It doesn't make you seem weak, rather you come out more mature and wiser. 

Okay, I'll stop here for today. My brain is tired and I've to pack and head back to Abuja. 

Hugs... and have a fun weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment