Wednesday 21 September 2016

Let There Be Peace (International Day of Peace)

"Let us all work together to help all human beings achieve dignity and equality; to build a greener planet; and to make sure no one is left behind." — UN Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon

Helloooo...
I'm still basking in the euphoria of the new addition to my family; my only sister gave birth to her first child, a girl, yesterday morning and I've been so excited. I think I'm even more excited than the new mom, lol.
When I had my daughter, I wasn't excited. A lot of emotions coursed through moi: relief, fear(yes, fear o!), and a general overwhelming feeling, but not excitement. I mean who has strength for excitement when you're all sore! Anyway, I'm super happy and I know she'll be a great mother, she's got the maternal thing locked down, unlike me.


Today's UN's International Day of Peace, recognised around the world. It will therefore be unthinkable to write about any other subject asides peace. My grandfather told me stories of the 50s and 60s before the Civil War, and how peaceful Nigeria and indeed the world was back then. I can't picture it, and who can blame me? In my 33 years on earth all I've seen and heard are war and fights here and there, and it keeps getting worse by the day.

We have been so divided along religious, ethnic, social and political lines that we don't see humanity anymore. When we see a human being, the first thing we see is his/her race/tribe, religion, social and political class. I remember in 1993 when we had two Muslims running for Presidency and Vice Presidency in this country, and we all supported them, regardless of religious differences; can that be obtainable now? 

All over the world, there are meaningless wars going on. Terrorists are terrorising, in Nigeria the Avengers are avenging what I don't even understand. No peace. In our homes, divorce has become the norm; or you have couples living as flat-mates for the sake of their children and the society until they can no longer pretend and decide to consciously 'uncouple'. Siblings don't talk to each other and plot to maim and kill one another. It is bad. I still pray that I will experience that peaceful world and Nigeria my grandfather spoke about.

First of all, make peace with yourself, if you do not have peace of mind, you cannot give peace to your immediate family, colleagues, or friends. If you offend someone, apologise sincerely and show remorse. if someone offends you, give room for him/her to apologise, accept the apology and let it go. 


Extend that olive branch to someone today, forgive a grudge and free yourself. Let there be peace in the world, and it is us that will make that peace. Are you not afraid of the kind of world we will leave behind for the generations to come, at the rate we're going? 


From my corner, I wish you all peace of mind, which will in turn radiate and affect all around you. Spread love and cheer today. 

PEACE!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment