Wednesday 28 September 2016

Change is Constant

"Everything changes and nothing remains still"- Heraclitus

I wonder what the Greek philosopher, Heraclitus had in mind when he made the above post which have become famously translated into 'change is the only constant thing in life'.
Were they going through the kind of changes we're currently experiencing in our modern world? Or he foresaw what was coming and decided to prepare our minds for it?

On a daily basis, things change, people change, fashion changes, climate change, some for better some take a turn for the worse. I remember when my sister wouldn't wear trousers that, according to her, were 'jump-up'. Her jeans must pass her ankle or she'd loosen the hem and make it longer. Now we rock 'cropped pants'. Cropped has replaced 'jump-up' and we wear it with pride and a high sense of fashion. 
Courtesy: lifehack.org

When I see an old friend, someone I hadn't seen in over 10 years and the person says 'you've not changed', I usually do not know whether to be happy or worried about that. I mean, physically, I know I have definitely changed, and I believe my reasoning has changed too. If I have not changed in 10 years, I should be worried! Does it mean my brain hasn't developed further than where it was 10 years ago? Or maybe that's just one of the pretentious compliments we pay to people thinking it'd make them feel better and younger?

In life, if you think people will not change on you, you're in for a rude shock. That's the sad and hard fact. The people you know will change right before your eyes, parents even change. That strict mother you grew up with will change to become putty in the hands of her grandchildren, all soft and malleable. You'd wonder where the strict disciplinarian had gone to. Maybe as a result of age, life's experiences, people change from the persons you knew them to be. 

The only thing we can hope for is to encounter positive changes most of the time. We can pray the economy changes for the better, for the people in our lives to change for the better, for a better climate change (not the scary one we hear and read of everyday). While embracing the changes going on around us, may we embrace positive changes only which will improve our lives and make the world a better place?  

Dassol from my corner today. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Hugs...

No comments:

Post a Comment