Wednesday 25 May 2016

On Gender Equality


Anyone who watches House of Cards will undoubtedly reckon with the force that is Claire Underwood, a character played by Robin Wright. In that series, her husband, Frank Underwood, played by Kevin Spacey, wouldn’t be anywhere without the support of his formidable wife Claire.
Opinion polls often placed her character more popular than that of her husband. You can then imagine my surprise when I found out she was being paid less than what Kevin Spacey earned on the show! Why??
In my opinion, gender equality is avoidance of social and political discrimination between both sexes. If a woman and a man do the same quality of work, they should be paid equally. Equal opportunities should be given to men and women to climb up the social and political ladder.
Gender equality does not mean you go and challenge your husband because you believe you’re equal. That’d just cause wahala in your home o! If When (before my mum will fire more prayers on my head, lol) I get married, I will accept my husband as the head of the house, but that does not mean that my male colleague at work is superior because he is a man; neither is the guy on the street. I shouldn’t be paid less because I’m a woman, I shouldn’t have to sacrifice my dreams and ambition because I’m a woman, I shouldn't be overlooked for promotion because I'm a woman. Social equality is what we crave for. Is that too difficult to understand??  

I’m glad Robin Wright demanded for equal pay with Kevin Spacey and got it. That’s gender equality!!!
Hugs... 

No comments:

Post a Comment