Wednesday 8 January 2020




Do you visit teaching hospitals? Have Doctors who are accompanied by their students attended to you? Did you feel bad when the Doctor used you to teach those students?


I remember when my dad was sick and we took him to the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Ituku-Ozalla, the doctor/Professor would come into his room with students and he would ask them to examine the patient (my dad), and make their observations. They took their turns to do this and thereafter the doctor made his own observations and taught them something.
Back then, I felt a tinge of something, I would not call it anger, but a part of me wished he had not done that. It felt like my dad was a cadaver for their dissection. However, I also understood the need to teach the students with living and sick human beings.
Recently, someone told me how angry she got when she visited a Teaching Hospital for diagnosis and the doctor came in with his students, and they had to examine her and state their observations. I mean, it can be quite embarrassing if they have to touch and examine your breasts, your penis, or vagina. You would definitely be miffed a bit, but then we need to also understand that they NEED to do this so they can learn.  She got upset, left and vowed never to go back.
I know many women who would not allow an apprentice or a ‘learner’ touch their hair at the salon. They would be livid if they learnt an apprentice made their clothes. I get their annoyance, especially if the hair or the cloth is messed up at the end. Personally, if the main teacher or instructor is there to supervise and guide the learner, I really do not mind being used to teach someone. Else, how will they learn?


I do not know how teaching hospitals operate abroad; do they use patients to teach too? I saw it in Grey’s Anatomy, but I do not know if that is how they operate in reality. Abroad people in “saner climes”, how is it done? Still in the same way we do it in “insane climes”? Hahaha.. 😊Do let us know please.



Summarily, I think if you visit a Teaching Hopsital, expect to be used to teach. It is a Teaching Hospital afterall. The Professor or the Consultant you went to see learnt that way too. Be patient with the students as they learn, so they could become Consultants and Professors too. However, do not hesitate to speak out if you feel violated or disrespected in any way. Just do not write off our teaching hospitals because they used you to teach their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment