Wednesday 3 August 2016

Summer Classes or not?

Courtesy: alicegorman.com.au

The holidays are upon us, Summer, as some would call it. I don't even get why we in Nigeria call it summer too since we enjoy sunlight all year round, and this period is even known for incessant rainfall. So where's the summer sunshine that the people in the Western world enjoy at this time of the year?

Anyway, the holiday is longgg and I know parents like me are wondering what to do with their children for two months, because trust me, except you have capable hands at home with them, you keep worrying. Children, being the restless beings they are, get easily bored, despite the cartoons and video games, and you can't even rely on public power supply to keep them entertained.

The day my daughter did their graduation, they informed us of the "intensive summer classes" they were planning for the children. Haba! Intensive?! After the three months intensive classes, during the holiday when they should rest, they want us to bring them for further intensive classes. I guess they felt adding the word "intensive" would impress us, but I wasn't impressed. An older friend of mine said that at the rate we stress children's brains, they might develop high blood pressure and stress-related issues earlier on in life, and I couldn't agree more. 

In the western part of the world, students who don't do well in class attend summer classes to make up for the lost grades. Others have other fun activities lined up for Summer that the children will enjoy doing. Last year, I had my friend's daughters over for the long vacation and decided to enroll them for supposedly 'fun' Summer classes, only for me to get home from work and see them with homework! Haba!! I'd deal with homework for three months, and do that during holiday too? No o! There and then I made up my mind that was the end.

Although I understand the parents that are always quick to parcel their kids off to these schools during the holiday because of their busy schedules, however, I also feel the children's brains need a break from school work. I know that when I'm on my annual leave I don't want to be called for any work at all!! That's how I feel about children attending school during the holidays. Some might argue that the children enjoy it as they also get to see and play with their friends, but we know that not everything children like doing is good for them. They can do other things during the holidays like learn karate, dancing, playing musical instruments, etc. The teachers too need a break. Also, no need to worry that they would forget all they learnt the previous term, they won't. 


Courtesy: www.familiesforlife.sg


Let the kids relax and have fun, afterall, it's a holiday!!

Hugs...


No comments:

Post a Comment