Monday 15 August 2016

Success Begets Many Friends


Boy, did I have a hectic weekend! Spent the better part on road trips, and you know how ‘wonderful’ our roads are. I'm in  Minna, Niger State on official assignment, and I was so knackered when I came in yesterday, yet sleep eluded me last night.
Probably had something to do with my room being named after the Late Umaru Yaradua (though my friend thinks I’d have been excited if the room was named after the late Michael Jackson), well…. whatever *eyes rolling. Lol.


Anyway, back to the matter, I must confess I’ve not been following the Rio Olympics for some reasons I can’t even explain. However, I have tried to keep track of the Nigerian team and athletes’ performances and I have been pleased. I remember that no one gave our Under 23 dream team and the athletes much of a chance at this Olympics, owing to the abysmally poor preparations prior to the games. From allegations that the team members were trafficked, to being stranded at Atlanta Airport and having to “rush” to Rio to play their first game just a few hours after arrival. In spite of all these, in spite of lack of support from the government, these boys kept winning! A Nigerian Rower, Chikere Ukogu, whom I believe must be based abroad as I know there are no lakes for her to train here, won a Silver medal thereby putting Nigeria on the medals table.

So, the football team won the first, second and third group matches, went to quarter finals, won, and will play in the semi-final. Now accolades have started pouring in! Even those that didn’t give them the time of day have turned around and are now cheering them and encouraging them to go for Gold! Really??!!! See how everybody loves to identify with success?? The Nigerian media is agog with news of Chikere’s medal and we’re proud to call her a Nigerian. Even those that snickered initially when they heard we’ve a Rower there (like really? Rowing? Nigerian?) are excited for her and for Nigeria. Success has many friends!! Mikel Obi, who had been berated and abused by Nigerians and tagged ‘unpatriotic’, ‘arrogant’, etc. have become a hero! We’ve heard that he paid the hotel bills for his team mates, encourages and motivates them. Isn’t that just swell?! Now we love him! 


 This is not strange in our society. When you’re not doing well, nobody wants to identify with you, but the minute you become successful, people you don’t even know of will claim to know and love you. You’ve friends everywhere you turn. This is why I believe in working hard to prove the critics (for some reason I don’t like the word ‘hater’) wrong. The negative words should be the reason why you will not give up. Negativity spurs me towards success. I mean, I surely gotta prove them wrong! We live in a society filled with negativity; but note that all that negativity will turn to accolades once you succeed. So, determine not to be put-off/down by such lack of support and negative comments; instead, strive hard to succeed against all odds. 

I wish our boys victory as they meet the Germans. Win or lose, they’ve surpassed our expectations. I also read that the Dream Team that won the Olymipcs in 1994 were also stranded at Atlanta Airport, and they went ahead to win Gold. May history be repeated this year. 

Have a pleasant week. If you’re in Minna, holla at your girl. 
Hugs...

No comments:

Post a Comment