Wednesday 7 December 2016

On Religious Courts




Hiiii,

It's been a while, right? I'm very sorry for my absence for days now. Notice that the blog looks pretty now? Hehehehe... got some young sharp lady to do this for me, and I had to give her space to do her work. Who says the blog can't look pretty while I'm having fun? I like it, do you?

So, what have I been up to? and what has been happening in Nigeria; never a dull moment, right? Let me start with moi; I travelled to Lagos, my gorgeous niece got dedicated in church. Now, I do not like Lagos, Yes, I don't, and each trip gives me more reasons not to like the city/state.
Is it the humid air, or lack of electricity, or the human traffic? If I was in my village without the constant electricity, at least I'd stay outside and enjoy cool breeze from the trees, right? Lagos? Nada!! Imagine the bit of harmattan we've been enjoying here in Abuja, only for me to land in Lagos and get hit with that stuffy, hot, humid air. Gosh!! Well, it was a fun weekend though, ain't no party like a Lagos party, really. Those guys can have fun for Africa, I swear! Well, that's by the way.

Hmmmmm.... you know that we are always up to something in this country. Truths, fabricated stories and half-truths are always flying around. From the Nigeria Communications Commission's claim that the federal government mandated them to increase data tariff, to the Minister of Communication denying that the Government gave such instruction; to the news that the Federal Road safety Commission has been authorised to carry firearms (as if we do not have enough gun-totting, trigger-happy uniformed men already), which they denied. Hmmm... no dull moment and we do not even know who to believe. 
Nigerian House of  Representatives

What bothers me is the plan to establish a Christian Court, which Bill has passed the second reading in our House of Representatives. I cannot remember when we, the Christians clamoured for a Christian Court that the Hon. Gyang Dung, from Plateau State, and his cohorts deemed it wise to sponsor such a Bill. Of all the myriad of needs facing Nigeria, and all the  Bills on the floor of the Honoured House of Representatives, they chose to prioritise this! According to the Bill, the Cardinals who will serve as the Judges in the Court will be those who studied the Law and will deliver judgements in line with the tenets of Christianity and the Law of the Land. Someone argued that since Muslims have Sharia Court, Christians should have theirs too, tit for tat! Hmmmm... I have so many misgivings about this, not just from the 'thou shall not judge' angle preached in the Bible, but from the reality of the establishment of such a court. The Bible preaches forgiveness and going to the elders of the church to settle issues, won't this contradict the teachings of the Bible? How do we get non-Christians to obey the laws of the court? Amadioha and Sango worshippers better gear up for theirs too, as they also need a court to protect their religion, right?  The people of Plateau State, biko come and carry your Honourable member o! Is that what you sent him to the House to do? Could they stop chasing shadows and get down to the real issues we have in this country? We already have issues with implementing Sharia law in the Sharia courts, even among Muslims. Imagine this, someone lost his phone somewhere, my security man and some others were suspected and dragged to Sharia Court!, whereas the person who lost his phone is an Igbo man, not even a Muslim! Does the Sharia court have jurisdiction over such? Now if a Christian or a Muslim does what is against the Bible and the Christian Faith, he'd get dragged to the court? Anyway, let me rest this for the moment and see what happens. 

Sorry once more for the long absence. I appreciate those that actually asked me why I hadn't put anything up for days, I didn't think people would notice. That felt soo nice. 
Hugs to all those that missed me... hehehehe...

No comments:

Post a Comment